Once used by our ancestors to bring food to the cook-fires, the practice of archery is a fascinating confluence of discipline and energy, focus and stamina. With guidance from our expert instructors, your group will learn the skill and pure enjoyment that comes from target-based archery. Choose from the following packages, or call the Activities Team for a customized experience.
Note: Sobriety required. Participants must be at least 12 years of age to attend. For youth archery programs, inquire with Group Activity Coordinator.
Bronze Archery Session
The Bronze Session includes a safety briefing, equipment, individual instruction, and tips and advice from the instructor throughout the session. We promise that we’ll get everyone hitting the target!
$80 per person | 8-16 participants | 60 minutes
Silver Archery Package
In addition to everything included in the Bronze Session, this package offers a final competition in which you’ll learn how to score and host a shoot-off for a dozen arrows. The top three archers receive medals!
$100 per person | 8-20 participants | 90 minutes
Gold Archery Package
Go for the gold! Try our extended 2-hour session with extra games in addition to the shoot-off competition. In this experience, archers compete for bronze, silver, and gold medals plus champagne for the top archer! An optional break may be scheduled into the session.
$125 per person | 8-20 participants | 120 minutes
OUTDOOR PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOPS
Learn from the best! Acclaimed photographers Kip Evans and Doug Steakley are experts in landscape photography; their stunning images have been published by National Geographic and numerous other publications. Taking a class with either of these pros will help you discover how to capture the world through your own unique lens. Both artists are in high demand and travel frequently, so be sure to inquire about their availability well in advance of your stay.
Create Your Best Shot: Basics for the Modern Photographer
Do you know what sets the best photographers apart from the rest? Photo composition. In this on-property class, you’ll learn how to create beautiful photos anytime, anywhere. We will talk about and then practice finding the right lighting, angle, and focal compositions. Bring whatever camera you use most—DSLR, smart phone, any will do!
$125 per person | 10-person minimum | 120–150 minutes (includes 45-minute seminar, 75–105-minute photography walk)
Point Lobos Photography Excursion
Capture the extraordinary beauty of the Big Sur Coast, Pebble Beach, and Monterey Peninsula on this unforgettable adventure. Photograph breathtaking landscapes as you hike along the shores and coves of Point Lobos State Reserve, less than 30 minutes from The Ranch. Chase the shifting light along this magnificent stretch of coastline as you learn about otters, seals, pelagic birds, and other marine life in this magical meeting of land and sea.
Half-day excursion: $200 per person | 10-person minimum | 1 hour seminar, 3-hour photography tour
Full-day excursion: $400 per person | 1-hour seminar, 6-hour photography tour, 1-hour photo sharing and discussion
Transportation and A/V costs are additional.
SUSTAINABLE WILDCRAFTING (SEASONAL)
Building on the concept of foraging, wildcrafting is the practice of harvesting potent and unusual plants from their native habitats in a way that maintains the growth and health of the species. Wildcrafting brings us back to the days when our survival depended on protecting the land. Mushrooms, herbs, and other plants have long been sought-after ingredients for both medicine and cuisine. In this private class, our wildcrafter will take your group out to explore our secret gardens and hillsides in search of ingredients for creating nourishing food, teas, and infusions.
$60 per person | 10–20 participants | 90 minutes | Fall through Spring; based on plant availability
GUIDED HIKES & WALKS
Explore our 500-acre playground and beyond! Choose a 60-minute, 90-minute, or half-day trek, ranging in difficulty from easy stroll to serious challenge. Experience unparalleled scenery as you learn about local wildlife, plants, and cultural history from our Naturalist.
On-Property Hikes & Walks
Stretch your legs and get to know our scenic trails and grounds. Combine any number of interconnected pathways and trails, or choose one of the themed hikes below.
60 minutes | $240 up to 12 people | $20 per additional person
90 minutes | $360 up to 12 people | $30 per additional person
- Horseshoe Loop Walk Enjoy a bird’s-eye-view of The Ranch on this leisurely walk up to our hilltop pasture, with stunning views of Robinson Canyon along the way.
- Nature Walk Learn about local plants and wildlife on this relaxing walk through our pinot noir vines, olive grove, and lavender fields to the organic garden and back.
- Ridge Views Hike Take an invigorating, moderately strenuous hike up the Huff ‘n’ Puff and Mucklehead trails to the spectacular ridgeline above The Ranch, where you’ll enjoy breathtaking views of the valley and, on a clear day, the Pacific Ocean.
- Sunset Point Hike Explore our beautiful property in the waning light. Hike up to a peaceful knoll above The Ranch to take in panoramic views of Carmel Valley and a glimpse of the ocean in the distance.
- Birding Walk Join our Naturalist on an informative walk in search of The Ranch's flightiest residents—the seasonal and year-round birds flitting, soaring, singing, and strutting around the property. You'll learn the habitats and behaviors of native species, including those common to our neck of the woods but rare in other areas. We'll supply the binoculars; you bring your eagle eye and patience.
- Glow-in-the-Night Hike Looking for adventure under the stars? Hiking at night in Carmel Valley is an extraordinary experience, guaranteed to awaken your senses. Before we set out, we’ll wrap ourselves with EL (electroluminescent) wire—the latest in wearable technology—and then head up the trail for a truly glowing experience! At the top, we’ll turn off our lights and tune into the peaceful sounds of nature after dark.
Additional fees and minimum 2 weeks’ notice required.
Take advantage of The Ranch’s proximity to world-famous parks and coastal trails. Our expert guides will show you the lay of the land as you discover all the places the locals know to go. Transportation for off-property hikes is participants’ responsibility, or can be provided by The Ranch for additional charge. Hike locations may depend on seasonal availability.
- Point Lobos State Reserve Prepare to have your breath taken away. Point Lobos State Natural Reserve offers an extraordinary meeting of land and sea, where spectacular coastal scenery, easy ocean-front walking trails, and wildlife—including sea otters, harbor seals, sea lions, shorebirds, and migrating whales—await you. The historic Whaler’s Cabin contains fascinating artifacts and exhibits about the area’s cultural history. 20-minute drive from Carmel Valley Ranch.
$510 up to 6 people | $85 per additional person | 120–180 minutes
- Garland Ranch Regional Park With over 50 miles of scenic hiking trails varying in terrain and difficulty, this neighboring parkland to our east offers many great options. You can start and finish at the park’s Visitor Center just 3 miles down the road, or opt for a moderately strenuous 7-mile hike from The Ranch along scenic Snively’s Ridge to the Visitor Center and get shuttled back. 5-minute drive from Carmel Valley Ranch.
$420 up to 6 people | $70 per additional person | 90–180 minutes
- Garzas Creek/Redwood Canyon Locals know you don’t have to go all the way to Big Sur to see California redwoods. Just a few minutes from The Ranch, this tranquil 4-mile, easy-to-moderate hike through a sun-dappled riparian canyon meanders along a creek shaded by cottonwoods and big-leaf maples, leading to a secluded redwood grove. Hike back on the Terrace Trail, best known for its explosion of wildflowers from March to July. 10-minute drive from Carmel Valley Ranch.
$420 up to 6 people | $70 per additional person | 90–180 minutes
THE EXPERIENTIAL MARKET
Meet the people who help put Carmel Valley Ranch on the map as a destination for foodies and crafters alike. In this market-style experience, you’ll visit stations where our expert artisans and instructors will be on hand to share their talents. Learn how to create personalized perfume from essential oils, explore the world of handcrafted goat cheese, taste flights of honey straight from our Carmel Valley Ranch bee hives, blend spices and sea salt from our Salt House to make your own seasoning, and more. Ask our Activities Coordinator for a full list of options, or work with us to create custom activities around your ideas.
Pricing begins at $100 per person for 4 stations | Minimum of 20 people | 90–120 minutes Length of time and number of stations may be increased for additional fees.
BEESWAX CANDLE CRAFTING
In this relaxing hands-on activity, you’ll learn how to create custom candles using the natural bounty of The Ranch. We’ll show you how to roll a sheet of pressed beeswax into a simple, decorated candle, or make a scented candle with essential oils, herbs, and blossoms by pouring hot beeswax into an elegant votive. Spend some unscripted time relaxing and creating a memory and a memento of your stay here at The Ranch.
$75 per person | 10–20 people | 60 minutes | Two candles per person Length of program may be increased; please inquire for custom options.
BATH FOR BODY WORKSHOP
Learn how to pamper your body with bath products made just for you—by you! In this workshop, we’ll discuss the basics of aromatherapy as we create bath bombs, exfoliating scrubs, bath teas, and fragrances from natural ingredients, including herbs, salts, shea butter, and essential oil harvested from lavender here at The Ranch.
$75 per person | 10-person minimum | 60 minutes